Monday, July 9, 2012

GSOC 2012 - LibreOffice

I have the honor of being one of the Google Summer of Code (GSOC) students selected to work on LibreOffice this year. My project is to improve the performance of LibreOffice's spreadsheet software, Calc. My mentors are Kohei Yoshida and Markus Mohrhard. They have continually and patiently answered my questions, provided me with guidance, and well... mentored me. :-) Also, I have to say that all of the LibreOffice community that I have encountered have a general atmosphere of friendly helpfulness and openness to anyone who seriously wants to contribute. This is my first experience contributing to open source software, and I am loving it!

Although I have been working on and getting familiar with LibreOffice since early May, I have just now began to blog about my work per the recommendation of Markus. Until now, I have updated my mentors with IRC conversations, emails, and commits. I have never been the blogging type, but I can see the value in it for GSOC and work in general on LibreOffice.

2 comments: